Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Objectivity and Perspective

June 11th, 2024


Pitbull and bunny

In this video, a Pitbull is licking a baby Bunny and the baby Bunny is also cleaning itself. All of this is occurring in a bathroom. 

 You can interpret the pit bull's behavior in various ways in this video. I interpreted it by thinking the pit bull was cleaning the baby bunny. I saw that the dog was being gentle and not aggressive with his licks. In addition, he only moves his head to get close to the bunny showing no body movement which could also mean that he means no harm. When it does go to the clip of his paws being in front of him, the dog is calm and is not licking the bunny. However, I do make my interpretations based on bias and a whole-hearted point of view. I think the dog is showing their maternal side/ affection. When dogs usually interact with baby animals they tend to take care of them. Of course, there were other interpretations I found within this video like, maybe it is fighting the urge to eat the bunny, or the dog likes how the bunny tastes. Yet, I kind of defend the pit bull's actions by saying that it is friendly, loving, and caring. Sometimes pit bulls have a bad reputation for being aggressive animals. My grandparents have a pitbull and he is the sweetest dog I've ever met. That is why I think my opinions, emotions, and background with pit bulls favor the positives rather than the negatives. 



When we are trying to make an interpretation of animals' behavior, value judgments, and perspectives heavily come into play because we try to make sense of behaviors. Instead, to improve objectivity in these types of observations, there should be an environment free of interfering objects or people. For example, having a normal situation in which the pit bull would encounter a bunny at any time throughout the day and let the interaction happen naturally without any cameras in their faces. This would help us derive better observations and not much judgment. 

Even after watching the video multiple times, I stay firm with my perspective that the pit bull is licking the bunny in a motherly way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Harmony of Science and Religion in the Classroom

  Imagine being in a classroom where the wonders of the world explored through science coexist harmoniously with the mysteries pondered by r...